Construction industry needs to give utmost importance to safety aspects of their workers and expects full cooperation from all in the task of total safety.
Safety is not the responsibility of only safety department or the officers.it is the workers responsibility also. Unsafe and thoughtless act may lead to accident and injury resulting in suffering not only to the worker but to the members of their families also.
When accident takes place, project and constructions suffers. An accident is a loss to the worker, the project and to nation as well.
The safety aspects involved during project construction phase are different from those during regular operation and maintenance phase.
During various stages of project construction, different hazards gain significance. During erection work, falling of persons from height, failure of cranes, falling of equipment, fire caused due to welding etc. is possible. The possible hazards during project construction are :
- Accidents due to pit fall in trench, excavation
- Fall of persons from height
- Accidents due to failure of cranes, slings, ropes atc
- Falling of objects on human body
- Road accidents
- Collapse of structures, walls and slabs
- Equipment failures
- Unsafe equipment
The safety management during construction phase of the project aims at zero accident .
Field / site quality management ensures good quality of site work at every stage of construction. Good field quality ensures higher reliability and safety of the plant and equipment during operation.
Construction quality has long term effect on safety. Poor quality during construction enhance possibilities of equipment failure, fire hazards and accidents during regular operation of the plant and equipment.
Good quality construction is very essential and important. Project construction activities include :
- Receiving of equipment, storage
- Civil works
- Testing – commissioning
- Trial operations
- Handling over to operating staff
The objectives of safety during construction are :
- To ensure excellent quality of work during every stage of the project construction.
- To ensure that the personnel and plant are safe during construction and during regular plant operation and maintenance.
- The plant and its equipment give long, trouble free and safe service with minimum down time / maximum efficiency, lowest cost, and with good environment.
Good quality of construction goes a long way towards safety of personnel and plant during subsequent operations of the plant.